|16 March 2022 Chernihiv breadline attack|
|Part of the Siege of Chernihiv|
|Date||16 March 2022 |
Around 10:00 (UTC+2)
|Target||Civilians in Chernihiv|
|Perpetrators||Russian Armed Forces|
The Ukrainian city of Chernihiv has seen attacks by Russian forces since 24 February 2022, the day in which the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine started. The battles on Chernihiv have caused heavy civilian losses. On 3 March, the city suffered a bombing that killed 47 people. Russian major general Andrey Sukhovetsky, then deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army, was killed on 4 March, the day after the bombing, becoming the first Russian general to die during the 2022 Russian invasion. In 10 March, the city entered a siege which lasted until 31 March when the Ukrainian forces managed to undo the encirclement of the city.
As fighting continued, more civilians died in Chernihiv. On 16 March, the Governor of Chernihiv Oblast Vyacheslav Chaus reported that the Russian attacks on Chernihiv on that day alone had killed a total of 53 people.
The event was reported by Chaus as well as the United States Embassy in Kyiv. On Ukrainian television, Chaus said the attack, which he described as a bombing, was "not the first such incoming shell, nor is it the first shelling of civilians by the enemy". The US Embassy reported that the people had been "shot and killed". 14 people were reported dead by Ukrinform. The incident happened at around 10:00 UTC+3. Victims of the incident were killed following a blast shot from heavy artillery. These civilians were unarmed and some of them survived the shelling; they were taken to medical facilities by Chernihiv police.
|Video of the aftermath|
James Whitney Hill, a 67-year-old US citizen from Minnesota was killed in the attack. Chernihiv Patrol Police and the US State Department confirmed the death of a US citizen. James, known on social media as "Jimmy Hill", was an English-language teacher and refused to leave Ukraine when the war started to provide care for his partner Iryna, a Ukrainian citizen.
Around four hours after the incident, the Chernihiv Regional Prosecutor's Office filed a legal case regarding the attack. The Chernihiv Oblast branch of the Security Service of Ukraine also started an investigation.
- "Ворог накрив артилерією Чернігів, серед загиблих - американець" (in Ukrainian). Ukrinform. 17 March 2022.
- Суспільне (2022-03-17). "Кількість загиблих у черзі за хлібом у Чернігові зросла до 14, - Сергій Василина". Суспільне | Новини (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2022-03-29.
- "ЗСУ "підсмажили" техніку окупантів під Черніговом" [The Armed Forces of Ukraine "roasted" the equipment of the occupiers near Chernihiv]. Gazeta.ua (in Ukrainian). Hazeta po-ukrayinsʹky (Newspaper in Ukrainian). 25 February 2022. Archived from the original on 25 February 2022. Retrieved 25 February 2022.
У полон Збройних сил України здалися гвардії капітан Міхоєв і єфрейтор Касаткін. [Captain Mikhoyev and Corporal Kasatkin surrendered to the Armed Forces of Ukraine.]
- "Death toll from Russian air strikes on Chernihiv city rises to 47, local authorities say". Reuters. March 4, 2022. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- "First Russian general killed Ukraine war, dies in Chernihiv region". Business Standard. 4 March 2022.
- Kaufman, Ellie (10 March 2022). "Russian forces have moved about 3 miles closer to Kyiv and Chernihiv is now "isolated," US defense official says". CNN. Archived from the original on 14 March 2022. Retrieved 11 March 2022.
- Axe, David (31 March 2022). "Ukraine's Best Tank Brigade Has Won The Battle For Chernihiv". Forbes.
- Darrah, Nicole (17 March 2022). "U.S. citizen killed in Ukraine, State Department confirms". Yahoo! News.
- Lister, Tim; Ochman, Oleksandra; Mezzofiore, Gianluca (March 16, 2022). "People in line for bread in Ukrainian city of Chernihiv killed by Russian shelling, regional official says". CNN. Retrieved 17 March 2022.
- Reals, Tucker (March 16, 2022). "U.S. embassy says Russian troops "shot and killed 10 people standing in line for bread" in northeast Ukraine". CBS News. Retrieved 17 March 2022.
- "У Чернігові російські війська обстріляли людей, які стояли в черзі за хлібом: як мінімум 10 загиблих" (in Ukrainian). Suspilne. 16 March 2022.
- Romanenko, Valentina (17 March 2022). "Нові обстріли Чернігова: є жертви і поранені, серед загиблих - громадянин США". Ukrayinska Pravda (in Ukrainian).
- Singh, Kanishka; Lewis, Simon (March 17, 2022). "U.S. citizen killed in Ukraine while waiting in bread line, family says". Reuters. Retrieved 18 March 2022.
- "American among civilians killed in Russian attack in Ukraine". Associated Press. March 17, 2022. Retrieved 18 March 2022.
- Shovkun, Lesya (17 March 2022). "У Чернігові в черзі по хліб загинув американець Джиммі Хілл, який залишився в місті з хворою дружиною". Novynarnia (in Ukrainian).