|Zhytomyr Airport attack|
|Part of 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine|
Zhytomyr Airport attack
|Russian Armed Forces|
|Casualties and losses|
33 objects of infrastructure destroyed
The Zhytomyr attack was an attack on the civilian airport of Zhytomyr that took place on 27 February 2022 as part of the Kyiv offensive of the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine. The airport is situated around 150 kilometres (93 mi) from the capital city of Ukraine, Kyiv, near the town of Zhytomyr, Zhytomyr Oblast. It was reported that the Russian armed forces used 9K720 Iskander missile systems that were located in Belarus. Attacks on the city itself followed in March.
On March 1, late in the evening Russian troops hit a residential sector of the city. About 10 residential buildings on the Shukhevych street and the city hospital were damaged. A few bombs were dropped on the city. As a result, at least two civilian Ukrainians were killed and three were injured.
On March 2, shells hit the regional perinatal center and some private houses.
On March 8, in an air assault, a dormitory was hit and the Isovat factory was damaged.
On March 9, the outskirts of the city (Ozerne district) came under fire.
- "Airport in central Ukraine reportedly targeted by missile fired from Belarus". The Times of Israel. Archived from the original on 27 February 2022. Retrieved 28 February 2022.
- @KyivIndependent (28 February 2022). "Russia used Iskander missile systems to attack Zhytomyr Airport. The air strikes were conducted from Belarus, using Russian ballistic missile launchers. Earlier, Belarus said it wouldn't allow air strikes from its territory amid Ukraine's upcoming peace talks with Russia" (Tweet). Retrieved 28 February 2022 – via Twitter.
- "Російські окупанти вдарили бомбами по Житомиру. Горять житлові будинки". РБК-Украина (in Russian). Archived from the original on 10 March 2022. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- "Окупанти обстріляли Обласний перинатальний центр в Житомирі". РБК-Украина (in Russian). Archived from the original on 8 March 2022. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- "РОСІЙСЬКІ ОРКИ ЗАВДАЛИ ПОТУЖНОГО УДАРУ ПО ШКОЛІ ЖИТОМИРА". Archived from the original on 6 March 2022. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- Цензор.НЕТ. "Житомирський бронетанковий завод потрапив під російський авіаудар: двоє поранених, - голова ОВА Бунечко. ВIДЕО". Цензор.НЕТ (in Ukrainian). Archived from the original on 5 March 2022. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- "Ворог наніс авіаудар по Житомиру та Київській області. Повністю зруйновано гуртожиток". РБК-Украина (in Russian). Archived from the original on 9 March 2022. Retrieved 10 March 2022.
- Цензор.НЕТ. "Війська РФ скидають авіабомби на Житомир. ВIДЕО". Цензор.НЕТ (in Ukrainian). Archived from the original on 10 March 2022. Retrieved 10 March 2022.