AltspaceVR is a social VR platform that was founded in 2013 and launched its initial product in May 2015. The company is credited with having created the first social platform for virtual reality. In 2017 it was acquired by Microsoft and is now part of the Mixed Reality division (alongside notable products like HoloLens and HoloLens 2) within the Cloud and AI group. Some elements of the platform appear in Microsoft Mesh.
Today the platform is considered a place for live virtual events and boasts a robust and diverse content calendar. In addition to a wide variety of events, AltspaceVR is an active social platform where individuals can gather, talk, collaborate, and be co-present in small to large groups. Currently, AltspaceVR is the only social VR platform that allows for large groups of individuals to be co-present in a single space. The platform has also introduced a technology called FrontRow will allows for audience-scaling into the thousands.
AltspaceVR's userbase is a diverse group of people from all over the world. The platform is regularly home to a wide variety of events from VR church and LGBTQI+ meetups to large business conferences and even magic shows.
To date AltspaceVR has been the virtual venue of choice for many major events, including:
- several live shows with comedian and musician, Reggie Watts
- virtual music video with rapper Pitbull
- a virtual fashion show for 2020 Paris Fashion week
- a red carpet premiere with celebrities Jennifer Hudson and Daisy Ridley
- a live conversation with celebrity meteorologist, Al Roker
- several keynote conversations with Microsoft's Head of Mixed Reality, Alex Kipman
- Formed in early 2021, VR Forward is a virtual reality event production company. Events are hosted almost daily- such as Open Mic at the Coffee House on Sundays, alternating Music Mondays between Jano Live and Oswin Sings, hilarious audience participation game shows, Crime Time and Loco's Talking Hour!
AltspaceVR is currently available on most major VR headsets including:
AltspaceVR is currently available for download in the Windows Store, Steam Store, and Oculus Store. For more details on how to get AltspaceVR visit altvr.com/getaltspacevr
The platform is free to download and use. It has an ESRB rating of "Teen (13+)".
- Constine, Josh (July 29, 2015). "VR Chat Room AltspaceVR Raises $10.3M To Sell Virtual Events". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Eadicicco, Lisa (3 October 2017). "Microsoft Just Bought a Virtual Reality Company to Challenge Facebook". Time.
- "Microsoft Mesh feels like the virtual future of Microsoft Teams meetings". The Verge.
- "Religion in the Digital Age". BBC. April 2020.
- Harry, Baker (August 25, 2020). "'Magicians In VR' Event In AltspaceVR Will Feature Talks And Live Magic". UploadVR.
- Roddy, Clarke (June 30, 2020). "First Ever Virtual Reality Summit To Take Place During Paris Fashion Week In October 2020". Forbes.
- Eric, Kohn (January 13, 2021). "Jennifer Hudson and Daisy Ridley Take Avatars and Publicists Into VR for a Red Carpet Premiere". IndieWire.
- Peter, Rubin (September 9, 2020). "Covid Snuffed Out Burning Man—but the Festival Goes On in VR". WIRED.