Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Founder||Frank B. Baldwin|
|Headquarters||Burlington, New Jersey, United States|
|Laurence E. Bowes (CEO)|
Along with their own brands, Balford Farms sells and distributes a wide range of products.
Balford Farms was founded in 1892 by a teenager named Frank B. Baldwin, using a horse and wagon to deliver milk to customers throughout Philadelphia, Pennsylvania after school. As his business grew, father Edgar A. Baldwin helped with the management of day-to-day operations and expanded the business into a profitable company called Baldwin Dairies.
In 1965, Baldwin Dairies merged with Frankford Dairies of Philadelphia to become Baldwin-Frankford Dairies, Inc. George H. Baldwin, Sr. and John Baldwin, grandsons of Frank B. Baldwin, changed the name to Balford Farms in 1972.
Expansion of Balford Farms continued in 1980 with the purchase of a 70,000 ft² (6,503 m²) warehouse in Bensalem, Pennsylvania. Over the next few years, the company acquired small independent dairy and food companies to become a major distributor in the Lehigh Valley. Balford Farms merged with another longtime business in Philadelphia, Quality Dairy Products (operating as Breuninger's Dairy) in 1996.
Dairy Farmers of America sold their warehousing and distribution center in Harleysville, Pennsylvania to Balford Farms in 2012, formerly owned by Keller's Creamery, as part of a consolidation project.
Current corporate executives at Balford Farms:
- Laurence E. Bowes — CEO
- Larry Walker - President
- Balford Farms (Home Page), Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.
- Balford Farms (Products), Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.
- Balford Farms (About Us), Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.
- Ancestry.com, 1880 United States Federal Census, Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.
- Montgomery Media, Keller's Creamery in Harleysville to Close by Brian Bingaman (July 25, 2012), Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.
- The Morning Call, Rosenberger's Dairies Sold Again by Anthony Salamone (October 29, 2014), Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.
- Balford Farms (Corporate Executives), Retrieved Feb. 8, 2015.