Vidhan Sabha constituency
|Lok Sabha constituency||40. Asansol|
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 283 Barabani assembly constituency covers Barabani and Salanpur community development blocks. It covers such towns as Chittaranjan and Rupnarainpur
In the 2011 election, Bidhan Upadhyay of Trinamool Congress defeated his nearest rival Abhas Raychaudhuri of CPI(M).
|CPI (M)||Abhas Raychaudhuri||58,051||39.07||-12.95|
|JD(U)||Abhishek Kumar Singh||964|
|AITC gain from CPI (M)||Swing||+20.98#|
.# Swing calculated on Congress+Trinamool Congress vote percentages in 2006 taken together.
|West Bengal Legislative Assembly elections, 2011 |
Bardhaman district summary
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Indian National Congress||1||0|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||8||13|
|Marxist Forward Bloc||0||1|
Note: New constituencies – 4, constituencies abolished – 5 (See template talk page for details)
In the 2006 state assembly elections, Dilip Sarkar of CPI (M) won the Barabani assembly seat defeating Manik Upadhyay of Trinamool Congress. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Manik Upadhyay representing Trinamool Congress in 2001 and Congress in 1996, won the seat twice defeating Rudranath Mukherjee and Paresh Maji, both of CPI (M), respectively. In 1991, S.R.Das of CPI (M) defeated Manik Upadhyay of Congress. In 1989, Manik Upadhyay of Congress won the Barabani seat in a bye election. In 1987 and 1982, Ajit Chakraborty of CPI (M) defeated Manik Upadhyay and Dhiraj Sain, both of Congress, respectively. In 1977, Sunil Basu Roy of CPI (M) defeated Sukumar Bandopadhyay of Congress.
Prior to that those who won the Barabani seat were Sukumar Banerjee of Congress in 1972, Sunil Basu Roy of CPI (M) in 1971 and 1969, Mihir Upadhyay of Congress in 1967, and Haridas Chakraborty of CPI in 1962. In 1957, Barabani was part of Jamuria (Vidhan Sabha constituency) and it was won by Amarendranath Mondal of Praja Socialist Party.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 September 2010. Retrieved 21 August 2010.
- "Barabani". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Barabani. Empowering India. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011" (PDF). Barabani. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 September 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "258 - Barabani Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 29 August 2009.
- Bandopadhyay, Santimoy, Asansol Parikrama (History of Asansol), (in Bengali), pp157-158, Trinity Trust, Election results 1957-1972.