|Burundi at the|
2020 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Comité National Olympique du Burundi|
|in Tokyo, Japan|
|Competitors||6 in 3 sports|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Burundi is expected to compete at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Originally scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020, the Games have been postponed to 23 July to 8 August 2021, because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be the nation's seventh consecutive appearance at the Summer Olympics.
The following is the list of number of competitors in the Games.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Eric Nzikwinkunda||Men's 800 m|
|Olivier Irabaruta||Men's marathon||N/A|
|Francine Niyonsaba||Women's 5000 m||N/A|
Burundi received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send the women's flyweight boxer Omella Havyarimana to the Olympics, marking the country's debut in the sport.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Final|
|Omella Havyarimana||Women's flyweight|
Burundi received a universality invitation from FINA to send two top-ranked swimmers (one per gender) in their respective individual events to the Olympics, based on the FINA Points System of June 28, 2021.
|Belly-Cresus Ganira||Men's 100 m freestyle|
|Odrina Kaze||Women's 50 m freestyle|
- "Joint Statement from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee". Olympics. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "IAAF Games of the XXXII Olympiad – Tokyo 2020 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 April 2019. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "Tokyo Olympics Entry Lists Released, Swimming Begins July 24". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 16 July 2021.