|Chagrin Falls High School|
400 East Washington Street
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Chagrin Falls Exempted Village Schools|
|Teaching staff||40.84 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.54|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
|Athletics conference||Chagrin Valley Conference|
|Mascot||Mortimer The Tiger|
|Rivals||West Geauga High School Kenston High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Chagrin Falls High School is a public high school located in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, United States, an eastern suburb in the Greater Cleveland metropolitan area. The high school's mascot is Mortimer the Tiger.
Chagrin Falls High School issued its first diploma in 1879, with only one graduate, Hugh Christian. The first group to graduate was in 1888, a class of four people. As of 2011, the high school has graduated over 10,000 students.
Awards and recognition
During the 2004-05 school year, Chagrin Falls High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
In 2008, it was placed 135th on Newsweek magazine's Top 1,300 Schools list (2nd in Greater Cleveland, behind neighboring high school Solon, and 5th in Ohio). In 2011, it climbed to 92nd in the year ratings.
- Boys Cross Country - 1971
- Girls Cross Country - 1991
- Girls Soccer - 1996, 2021 
- Girls Basketball - 1998
- Boys Lacrosse - 2003 2015, 2019
Individual State Champions
- Girls Track and field - 2019 4x800 (Hannah Hoimes, Hannah Bargar, Hannah Brosnan, Hannah Lowe)
- Tim Conway, actor
- Casey Cott, actor
- Corey Cott, actor
- Bob Dahl, NFL football player for the Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals
- Sean McHugh, NFL football player for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Diana Munz, Olympic gold and silver medalist in swimming
- Brian Robiskie, NFL football player for the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions and Atlanta Falcons
- Harry Smith, professional ten-pin bowler and member of the PBA and USBC Halls of Fame
- Lee Unkrich, co-director of Pixar feature films Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo
- Fred Van Lente, comic book writer
- Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes comics*
Notes and references
- School Profile Archived April 26, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, 2011
- "Chagrin Falls High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved March 19, 2021.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Institution Summary". Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- School Info at chagrinschools.org
- Mattern, Tom (August 1998). "History". Chagrin Falls Alumni.org. Archived from the original on 22 July 2009.
- "History, Number of Students". Retrieved November 24, 2011.
We are currently at 10,064 graduates. (2011)
- U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 2003 through 2006 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department Archived August 19, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- "Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test". The Washington Post. September 29, 2005.
For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school.
- "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, 2011. Accessed November 23, 2011.
- Chagrin Valley Conference Archived March 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine at Chagrin Falls Schools' website
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OHSLA. "Ohio High School Lacrosse Association Web site". Archived from the original on 2007-02-01. Retrieved 2012-10-22.