Darshan Lal Jain
|Died||8 February 2021(aged 93)|
Darshan Lal Jain (12 December 1927 – 8 February 2021) was an Indian social activist, who was awarded Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award, in 2019 for his contribution in social work. He was known for educating young girls and financially troubled children.
He was the founder of various schools and colleges in Haryana, including Saraswati Vidya Mandir, Jagadhri (1954), DAV College for Girls, Yamunanagar, Bharat Vikas Parishad Haryana, Vivekanand Rock Memorial Society, Vanvasi Kalyan Ashram Haryana, Hindu Shiksha Samiti Haryana, Geeta Niketan Residential School, Kurukshetra, and Nand Lal Geeta Vidya Mandir, Ambala (1997).
Darshan Lal Jain was born on 12 December 1927 in Jagadhri into a religious and industrialist Jain family. He is known as Babuji. As he grew up, he came in contact with RSS due to the feeling of patriotism. At the age 15, he participated in the Quit India Movement. He was sent to prison during the Emergency in 1975–1977 for working against the anti-people policies of the government. In 2007, Darshan Lal formed the warrior honor committee to remember the forgotten heroes of the nation. The committee held several ceremonies including the second war hero of Panipat, the coronation ceremony of Hemachandra Vikramaditya. He worked towards the education of the society and laid the foundation stone of Saraswati Vidya Mandir in 1954. He went on to establish Nand Lal Geeta Vidya Mandir and since its foundation in 1997, the school has been providing free education and free boarding to needy and intelligent students from Haryana, North East and Jammu and Kashmir. 
- Sharma, Shiv Kumar (11 August 2018). "Nonagenarian social crusader of Y'nagar". Tribune India.
- "राज्यपाल का पद ठुकराया, 'भागीरथ' बन सरस्वती के लिए संघर्ष किया, अब मिलेगा पद्मश्री अवार्ड" (in Hindi). Amar Ujala. 28 January 2019.
- "पद्मभूषण दर्शन लाल जैन को शिक्षा मंत्री रामबिलास ने किया सम्मानित" (in Hindi). Daily Bhaskar. 29 January 2019.
- "Padma Awards 2019: Social, environmental and animal welfare crusaders who have been awarded for their efforts". Times Now. 25 January 2019.
- "List of Padma Awardees 2019" (PDF). Padmaawards.gov.in. Government of India.
- "सरस्वती को धरा पर लाने के नायक दर्शन लाल जैन पद्म भूषण से अलंकृत". Dainik Jagran (in Hindi). Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "91-YO Padma Awardee Says One Can Serve Nation Without Joining Politics Like Dr APJ Abdul Kalam". indiatimes.com. 3 March 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "President Ram Nath Kovind confers Padma awards". The Economic Times. 16 March 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2020.