|Born||March 14, 1974|
|Alma mater||Harvard College|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Etan Cohen (Hebrew: איתן כהן; born March 14, 1974) is an Israeli-American screenwriter and film director who has written scripts for Hollywood movies, including Tropic Thunder, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, and Men in Black 3.
Early life and education
Born in Israel to a Jewish family, Cohen grew up in Efrat, Israel, and later in Sharon, Massachusetts. He graduated from the Maimonides School and Harvard College, where he wrote for the Harvard Lampoon.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2021)
His first produced scripts, in 1995 and 1997, were for Beavis and Butthead, where he was credited as Ethan Cohen. He has since written for other Mike Judge-directed projects, including King of the Hill from 2001 to 2005, and for the feature film Idiocracy in 2006. In the late 1990s he worked on two other television series – the animated Recess and the short lived It's Like, You Know.... After scripting Idiocracy, he worked on the animated series, American Dad! and wrote the episode, "Failure Is Not a Factory-Installed Option". The American Dad! minor character of the same name is named for him.
In 2008, Cohen co-wrote, along with Ben Stiller and Justin Theroux, the action-comedy film Tropic Thunder. He also wrote Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, which earned an Annie Award nomination for best Writing in a Feature Production.
|2006||Idiocracy||No||Yes||Co-wrote with Mike Judge|
|2008||Tropic Thunder||No||Yes||Co-wrote with Justin Theroux and Ben Stiller|
|2008||Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa||No||Yes||Co-wrote with Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath|
Nominated – Annie Award for Best Writing in an Animated Feature Production
|2012||Men in Black 3||No||Yes|
|2015||Get Hard||Yes||Yes||Directorial debut|
Co-wrote with Jay Martel and Ian Roberts
|2018||Holmes & Watson||Yes||Yes||Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Director|
|2022||The Bad Guys||No||Yes||Co-wrote with Hilary Winston|
Also executive producer with Aaron Blabey and Patrick Hughes
|TBA||Brothers||No||Yes||Co-wrote with Macon Blair|
|1995–1997||Beavis and Butt-head||No||Yes|
|1999||It's Like, You Know||No||Yes|
|1999||Timon & Pumbaa||No||Yes|
|2001–2005||King of the Hill||No||Yes||Annie Award for Best Writing in an Animated Television Production|
Awards and nominations
|2007||US Comedy Arts Festival||Comedy Festival Award for Best Short Film||My Wife Is Retarded||Won|
|2019||39th Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst Director||Holmes & Watson||Won|||
- Smith, Lynn (August 15, 2008). "The joke is on you". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- Chris Lee (May 29, 2012). "The Movie Redemption of 'Men in Black 3' Scribe Etan Cohen". The Daily Beast. IAC. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- Howard, Annie (February 22, 2019). "Worst Director - Razzie Awards: 'Holmes & Watson' Named Worst Picture of the Year". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- Zeitchik, Steven (March 13, 2015). "Etan Cohen, director of 'Get Hard,' is used to confounding expectations". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 28, 2020.
- "2019 Razzie winners announced: Full list of Razzie Award winners in all 10 categories [WATCH]". February 23, 2019.