|Ethiopia at the|
2020 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Ethiopian Olympic Committee|
|in Tokyo, Japan|
|Competitors||38 in 4 sports|
|Flag bearer||Abdelmalik Muktar|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Ethiopia is expected to compete at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Originally scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020, the Games have been postponed to 23 July to 8 August 2021, because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The country's participation in Tokyo will mark its fourteenth appearance at the Summer Olympics since its debut in 1956, having missed three occasions for joining the African (1976), Soviet (1984), and North Korean (1988) boycotts.
The following is the list of number of competitors in the Games.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Melese Nberet||800 m|
|Samuel Abate||1500 m|
|Nibret Melak||5000 m||N/A|
|Berihu Aregawi||10000 m||N/A|
|Hailemariyam Amare||3000 m steeplechase||N/A|
|Bikila Tadese Takele||N/A|
|Habitam Alemu||800 m|
|Freweyni Hailu||1500 m|
|Ejgayehu Taye||5000 m||N/A|
|Tsigie Gebreselama||10,000 m||N/A|
|Mekides Abebe||3000 m steeplechase||N/A|
|Yehualeye Beletew||20 km walk||N/A|
Ethiopia entered one rider to compete in the women's Olympic road race, by securing an outright berth, as the highest-ranked cyclist, not yet qualified, at the 2019 African Championships in Addis Ababa.
|Selam Amha||Women's road race|
|Abdelmalik Muktar||Men's 50 m freestyle|
Ethiopia entered one athlete into the taekwondo competition for the first time. Solomon Demse secured a spot in the men's flyweight category (58 kg) with a top two finish at the 2020 African Qualification Tournament in Rabat, Morocco.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Repechage||Final / BM|
|Solomon Demse||Men's −58 kg|| Suzuki (JPN)
- "Joint Statement from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee". Olympics. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "IAAF Games of the XXXII Olympiad – Tokyo 2020 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "Athletes' quotas for Road Cycling events at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games". UCI. 18 November 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Tokyo Olympics Entry Lists Released, Swimming Begins July 24". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 16 July 2021.
- "Seven countries earned Olympic taekwondo berth as the African qualifying tournament for Tokyo 2020 on opening day in Rabat, Morrocco". World Taekwondo. 22 February 2020. Retrieved 24 February 2020.