Fulwell Bus Garage is a Transport for London bus garage located in Twickenham in west London. It is north of Fulwell railway station and operates as two halves, with entrances on the A311 Wellington Road and B358 Stanley Road. It is currently operated by Abellio London and London United.
Fulwell Bus Garage was originally built as a tram depot for London United Tramways in 1902. The site formerly formed the southerly part of the Freake Fulwell Park Estate and came on the market following the death of the Dowager Lady Freake in 1901. London United Tramways acquired a 99-year lease of the site in April 1902 for a new tram depot. This was completed in March 1903, just as new tram routes to Hampton Court Palace started operating.
The garage had an entrance at each end, in Stanley Road and Wellington Road. The shed had 20 tracks under cover but was never used to its full capacity. In 1931 London's first trolleybuses moved in alongside the trams and the last trams left in 1935. In 1933 the newly formed London Passenger Transport Board took over London United Tramways. Fulwell became London Transport's main trolleybus works making use of some of the space available. It was thus one of the last two depots to convert to motor buses on 9 May 1962.
The amount of work increased after 18 April 1970 when the small Twickenham (AB) garage, near Richmond Bridge, closed. In 1986/87 the garage was rebuilt, remaining open throughout. Instead of being split along its length, it is now split across its width.
Fulwell was allocated to the London United subsidiary when London Buses was split up in preparation for privatisation. Ninety vehicles were initially allocated to the garage. It later became the company's head office.
In 1999, Tellings-Golden Miller moved into the garage following it winning some Transport for London routes. It was included in the June 2005 sale of the business to Travel London. In May 2009 Travel London in turn was sold to Abellio London.
As a bus garage Fulwell was divided in half along its length with the sports ground between the garage and South Road. The northern half of the garage, together with the front yard at the Wellington Road end, and a small rear yard were used for bus operation. The southern half of the garage, together with the Stanley Road entrance, and the remainder of the front yard were let out.
Today both halves of the garage remains in operation.
The Wellington Road end is occupied by London United as its Fulwell (FW) garage. It also houses its head office. London United operate routes 33, 65, 71, 85, 281, 290, 371, 481, 671, 681, K3, N33 and N65 from the garage.
In 2004 Fulwell was named as one of the best in London for customer service.
- Woodriff, Bryan (2003). Fulwell: Home to Trams, Trolleys and Buses. Middleton Press. ISBN 1-904474-11-X.
- Fulwell Depot: Teddington: The Twickenham Museum
- McLachlan, Tom (1995). London Buses 1985-1995: Managing The Change. Venture Publications. ISBN 1-898432-74-0.
- Adlam, James (22 October 2004). "Bus depot on route for award". Richmond and Twickenham Times. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Acquisition National Express 1 June 2005
- National Express Group plc agreement to sell Travel London Archived 2 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine National Express 21 May 2009
- NedRailways acquisition reinforces long term commitment to UK transport market Archived 18 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine NedRailways 9 June 2009
- Services in London Abellio London
- Speak to us Archived 4 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine RATP Dev London
- "Our Services". RATP London. Retrieved 16 September 2021.