Vidhan Sabha constituency
|Type||Reserved for SC|
|Lok Sabha constituency||32. Ghatal|
|Electorate (year)||224,485 (2011)|
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 231. Ghatal (Vidhan Sabha constituency) (SC) is composed of the following: Ghatal municipality, Ghatal community development block, Ghatal Kharar municipality, and Rajnagar, Sarberia I and Sarberia II gram panchayats of Daspur I community development block.
|CPI (M)||Chhabi Pakhira||85,078||43.85||-15.46|
|AITC gain from CPI (M)||Swing||#|
.# Trinamool Congress did not contest the seat in 2006.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Indian National Congress||2||0|
|Jharkhand Party (Naren)||0||1|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||7||7|
|Communist Party of India||1||1|
Note: Constituency abolished – 1 (See template talk page for details)
In 2006, 2001, 1996, 1991 and 1987 state assembly elections, Ratan Pakhira of CPI(M) won the 197 Ghatal (SC) assembly seat defeating his nearest rivals, Ayan Dolui of BJP in 2006, Gopal Karak of Trinamool Congress in 2001, Rajani Kanta Dolui of Congress in 1996, Nimai Bag of Congress in 1991, and Madhu Sudan Dolai in 1987. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Gopal Mandal of CPI(M) defeated Nimai Bag of Congress in 1982. Gopal Mandal of CPI(M) defeated Baneshwar Saha of Janata Party.
Harisadhan Dolui of Congress won in 1972. Nandarani Dal of CPI(M) won in 1971, 1969 and 1967. Nagen Dolai of CPI won in 1962. In 1957 and 1951 Ghatal had a dual seat. Harendra Nath Dolai and Lakshman Chandra Sarkar, both of Congress won in 1957. Amulya Charan Dal and Jatish Chandra Ghosh, both of CPI, won the Ghatal dual seat in independent India's first election in 1951.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 September 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- "Ghatal". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Ghatal. Empowering India. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011" (PDF). Ghatal. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 September 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "197 - Ghatal (SC) Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Statistical Reports of Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.