This page provides help with the most common questions about Wikipedia.
Read or find an article
For simple searches, there is a search box at the top of every page. Type what you are looking for in the box. Partial matches will appear in a dropdown list. Select any page in the list to go to that page. Or, select the magnifying glass "Go" button, or press ↵ Enter, to go to a full search result. For advanced searches, see Help:Searching.
For mobile access, press the link at the very bottom of every page.
Edit an article
Contributing is easy: see how to edit a page. For a quick summary on participating, see contributing to Wikipedia, and for a friendly tutorial, see our introduction. For a listing of introductions and tutorials by topic, see getting started. The Simplified Manual of Style and Cheatsheet can remind you of basic wiki markup.
The simple guide to vandalism cleanup can help you undo malicious edits.
If you're looking for places you can help out, the Task Center is the place to go, or check out what else is happening at the community portal. You can practice editing and experiment in a sandboxyour sandbox.
Report a problem with an article
If there is a problem with an article about yourself, a family member, a friend or a colleague, please read Biographies of living persons/Help.
If you spot a problem with an article, you can fix it directly, by clicking on the "Edit" link at the beginning of that page. See the "edit an article" section of this page for more information.
If you don't feel ready to fix the article yourself, please post a message on the article's talk page. This will bring the matter to the attention of others who work on that article. There is a "Talk" link at the beginning of every article page.
Create a new article or upload media
Answers to common problems can be found at frequently asked questions.
Or check out where to ask questions or make comments.
Or and a volunteer will visit you there!
You can get live help with editing in the help chatroom.
For help with technical issues, ask at the Village pump.
If searching Wikipedia has not answered your question (for example, questions like "Which country has the world's largest fishing fleet?"), try the Reference Desk. Volunteers there will attempt to answer your questions on any topic, or point you towards the information you need.
- Directory: main list of directories and indexes.
- Help directory: for informative, instructional and consultation pages.
- Request directory: for services and assistance that can be requested on Wikipedia.
Protocols and conventions
- Policy directory: official policies for "English Wikipedia"
- Guideline directory: official guidelines for "English Wikipedia"
- Manual of Style directory: pages related to the style manual of Wikipedia articles.
- Departments: for the different divisions of Wikipedia.
- Editor's index: for everything an editor needs to know to work on Wikipedia.
- Essay directory: for Wikipedia namespace essays.
- Dashboard: for current discussions taking place throughout Wikipedia.
- WikiProjects: for people who want to work together as a team to improve Wikipedia.
Help by topic
- Help Menu: for searching by subject matter.
- Navigating Wikipedia: for searching and browsing the encyclopedia.
- Joining Wikipedia: how to get involved.
- Editing Wikipedia: has general help for editors.
- Links and references: has help for creating links, or dealing with references
- Images and media: how to use images, videos and sound files
- Keeping track of changes: how to track the evolution of a page, or follow a user.
- Policies and guidelines: for community standards.
- Asking questions: volunteers will attempt to answer.
- The Wikipedia community: how to submit or debate a proposal.
- Resources and lists: has resources for editors.
- Account settings: has tips and tools for registered users.
- Technical information: has tools for advanced users, and troubleshooting.
- Site map: is the above twelve pages on a single page.
Tip of the day
Wikipedia contains age calculation templates that self-update every day to keep date and age information current. These are very useful for a dynamic online encyclopedia and save users from having to regularly update that kind of information.
Many articles including biography articles contain infoboxes which use these age and date templates.
Results display the date of his death and his age on that date:
April 17, 1790 (aged 84)
Search Frequently Asked Questions
Search the help desk archives