"I'm a PC" is the title for a television advertising campaign created for Microsoft by ad agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky (CPB). The series first began to appear in September, 2008. The new series of commercials replace those that featured the pairing of Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates.
The ad series features prominent and popular individuals saying "I'm a PC" and has appearances by common international users as well as personalities such as writer Deepak Chopra, mixed martial artist Rashad Evans, actress Eva Longoria, photographer Geoff Green and singer Pharrell Williams.
The campaign was created by the CPB advertising agency and exhibited normal PC users to be found everywhere. It was the second phase of Microsoft's 2008 efforts to displace the ubiquity of Apple's "Get a Mac" ads, which portrayed the Mac as "cool and intuitive" and the PC as "boring and clunky". The Microsoft spots typically opened with an image of Sean Siler, an actual Microsoft employee stating lines such as "I'm a PC, and I've been made into a stereotype" and "I'm a PC, and I am not alone."
The advertisements are also interspersed with various non-famous users who proclaim "I'm a PC" from a variety of places and in a number of methods. The intent is to demonstrate how PC users are ordinary people.
Since the release of Windows 7, Microsoft has aired several advertisements under this campaign demonstrating the features of their new operating system. The ads typically focus on one person and end with the tagline "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea."
- Carlson, Nicholas (19 September 2008). "Microsoft's new "I'm a PC" commercials want you to "Think Different"". Vallywag. Archived from the original on 30 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- Microsoft's 'I'm a PC' ad images made on Macs Archived 2008-09-23 at the Wayback Machine, By Gregg Keizer, Computerworld (Republished on PC World, September 20, 2008)
- 'I'm a PC' made on a Mac, by Asher Moses, The Sydney Morning Herald, September 24, 2008 (duplicate Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine on thevine.com.au)
- So What's Up With That New 'I'm a PC' Guy, Anyway?, By Mark Wilson, Gizmodo, September 19, 2008
- Magazine: Microsoft ad uses Mac software, United Press International
- 'I'm a PC' ad pictures made on a Mac, (MacNN.com)