|Occupation||Chemical engineer, nuclear scientist|
Shantiswarup Bhatnagar Prize
Dr. Anji Reddy Innovation Award
Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers Award
DAE-Homi Bhabha Chair Professor
Fellow of Indian National Science Academy
Fellow of The World Academy of Sciences
INSA Medal for Young Scientist
Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences
Fellow of National Academy of Engineering
Jyeshtharaj Bhalchandra Joshi is an Indian chemical engineer, nuclear scientist, consultant and professor, widely known for his innovations in nuclear reactor designs and generally regarded as a respected teacher. He is the DAE-Homi Bhabha Chair Professor, Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai, and is the recipient of Shantiswarup Bhatnagar Prize for Engineering Sciences and many other awards and recognitions. He received the third highest civilian honour, the Padma Bhushan, in 2014 for his services to the field of chemical engineering and nuclear science.
Joshi was born on 28 May 1949, in Masur, Satara district, in the Indian state of Maharashtra, as the son of Bhalachandra (Kaka) Joshi. He passed BE in chemical engineering in 1971 and ME in 1972 from the University Department of Chemical Technology (UDCT), Mumbai after which he started his research, under the guidance of renowmed chemical engineer, Man Mohan Sharma. In 1977, he was awarded the PhD.
Joshi started his career, in 1972, as joining the faculty of the erstwhile University Department of Chemical Technology (UDCT), now known as Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai. During 1999 to 2000, as the director of ICT, he organised around 200 science workshops. He was also successful in upgrading the Institute to the status of a deemed university and increases fundraising for the Institute research by way of donations, research contracts and project consultancies. Joshi worked there for the most part of his career, in various positions and retired as its Director in 2009.
After that he joined as a Homi Bhabha Chair Professor in Homi Bhabha National Institute, Department of Atomic Energy, Mumbai. Presently, he is working as emeritus professor in Department of Atomic Energy, Mumbai.
Apart from the academic positions, Joshi has worked on the editorial or advisory board of many known and peer reviewed scientific journals.
Research and teaching
Joshi is credited with many innovative designs in the area of multiphase reactors. He is reported to have successfully developed multiphase sparged and mechanically agitated reactors. This has helped in the set up of large number of commercial size reactors in India and abroad. Joshi published over 442 scientific papers he has published in peer reviewed journals, with over 10772 citations on Google Scholar. Chem Tech Journal USA has recommended his procedures five times.
- Development of inhouse codes for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) for multiphase dispersions and complex geometries.
- Performed the first Laser-Doppler anemometer (LDA) measurements in multiphase dispersions.
- Development of an algorithm for the prediction of fractional gas hold-up and bubble size distribution.
- Deployment of the PIV technique to shadography for measuring motion of dispersed phases (bubbles, drops and particles).
- Development of a methodology for estimating detailed knowledge of the entire range of length, velocity and energy scales of turbulent structures in large number of Chemical Process Equipment.
- Development of a relationship between the mean and turbulent flow patterns and the design parameters such as axial mixing, mixing time, heat and mass transfer coefficients.
- Analysis of the multiphase reaction viz. absorption of nitrogen oxides (NOx) in water, alkaline and acidic solutions.
- Development of new designs for household cooker and stoves with thermal efficiencies of 50 to 60%, an improvement on the conventional cookers which have a thermal efficiency of 12 to 20%. He has released these technologies on a commercial basis.
Awards and recognitions
- Padma Bhushan
- Shantiswarup Bhatnagar Prize for Engineering Sciences – 1991
- Amar-Dye-Chem Award for Excellence in Research and Development – Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers – 1983
- Herdillia Award – 1989
- Vaswik Award – 1992
- Dr KG Naik Gold Medal – 1995
- Chemtech Foundation Award – 1997
- Goyal Foundation Award – 1998
- Dr. Anji Reddy Innovation Award – 2005
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers Award – 2007
- DAE-Homi Bhabha Chair Professor, Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- J. C. Bose Fellow in the Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (FNA)
- Fellow of Academy for the Developing World (TWAS)
- INSA Medal for Young Scientist – 1981
- Fellowship of Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore – 1991
- Diamond Award of UDCT – 1994
- Viswakarma Medal of INSA – 2000
- Zyed Hussain Zaheer Medal of INSA – 2008
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering – 2020 (for contributions in rational design of multiphase chemical process equipment and leadership in shaping the Indian chemical industry.
- Awad, Mohamed M.; Banerjee, Sanjoy; Kawaji, Masahiro (1 April 2020). "Professor Jyeshtharaj Bhalchandra Joshi on His 70th Birthday". Journal of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Science. 6 (2): 020301. doi:10.1115/1.4045590. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Sharma, M. M. (2 September 2009). "Jyeshtharaj Bhalchandra Joshi". Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 48 (17): 7863. doi:10.1021/ie900566a. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Babha Chair Professor". Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "CERD". Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Rev Chem". Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- João B.P. Soares, ed. (1957). "Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering". Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 180 (4575): 19. Bibcode:1957Natur.180Q..19.. doi:10.1002/(ISSN)1939-019X. ISSN 1939-019X.
- "EMERITUS PROFESSOR OF EMINENCE: PROF. J.B. JOSHI" (PDF). Institute of Chemical Technology. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "INSA". Archived from the original on 9 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Prof. J.B. Joshi awarded the Padma Bhushan". UDCT Alumni Association. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Padma list". The Hindu. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Padma list 2" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 May 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Brief Profile of the Awardee". ssbprize.gov.in. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "JC Bse fellow". Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Green, Brandon (9 February 2021). "National Academy of Engineering Elects 106 Members and 23 International Members". NAE Website. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Sharma M. M. (2009). "Jyeshtharaj Bhalchandra Joshi". Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 48 (17): 7863. doi:10.1021/ie900566a.