|Labels||Def Jam Recordings|
Kalush (stylized in all caps) is a Ukrainian rap group formed in 2019. The group consists of founder and rapper Oleh Psiuk, multi-instrumentalist Ihor Didenchuk, and DJ MC Kilimmen. Didenchuk is also a member of electro-folk band Go_A. The group will represent Ukraine in the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 with the song "Stefania".
Kalush was formed in 2019 and named after Psiuk's hometown of Kalush, Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast. The band's first music video for the song "Ne marynui" (Не маринуй) was released on their official YouTube channel on October 17, 2019. The director of the video, Delta Arthur, is the director of many of Ukrainian rapper Alyona Alyona's videos. The video was shot on the streets of Kalush, and on the eve of its release, Alyona Alyona announced it on her Instagram account.
After the release of their second music video "Ty honysh" (Ти гониш) in November 2019, Kalush signed a recording contract with the American hip-hop label Def Jam Recordings. On February 19, 2021, the band's debut album Hotin was released. On July 23, 2021, Kalush together with rapper Skofka released their second album entitled Yo-yo (Йо-йо).
In 2021, Kalush announced the launch of a parallel project, Kalush Orchestra. Unlike the main band, Kalush Orchestra focuses on rap with folk motifs and Ukrainian traditional music. The core members of Kalush were joined by multi-instrumentalists Tymofii Muzychuk and Vitalii Duzhyk.
On February 12, 2022, Kalush Orchestra competed for the right to represent Ukraine at the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 with the song "Stefania". In the final of the national selection Vidbir, they took second place with 14 points (six from the jury and eight from the audience). Psiuk believed that due to technical difficulties that occurred during the voting process, Alina Pash had been wrongly chosen as the winner. Despite coming in second place, the band were offered the chance to represent Ukraine after the withdrawal of Pash due to controversy regarding her travel history in Crimea. On 22 February, Kalush Orchestra accepted the offer. On the same day, the Ukrainian public broadcaster Suspilne published the official voting results of Vidbir 2022, confirming that Pash had been correctly chosen as the winner, contrary to Psiuk's claims.
- Pogodina, Ludmila (10 January 2022). "A folk-rap madhouse in your living room". Europavox. Retrieved 18 February 2022.
- Solovjov, Tony (31 October 2019). "Ukrainian Hip-Hop Is A Real Thing Now". Medium. Retrieved February 18, 2022.
- "Alyona Alyona радить: сленговий реп у новому проєкті Kalush (відео) | iod.media". ЙОД.MEDIA (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2020-01-03.
- ""HOTIN" - дебютний альбом гурту KALUSH". rap.ua (in Russian). 2021-02-19. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- "KALUSH випустили один із найочікуваніших альбомів в українському репі". СЛУХ — онлайн-медіа про музику та все, що навколо неї. 2021-02-19. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- ""ЙО-ЙО" (KALUSH feat. Skofka)". espreso.tv (in Ukrainian). 2021-07-23.
- Marco, Muntean (February 10, 2022). "Kalush Orchestra: "'Stefania' track is about the dearest person, Mom"". escbubble. Retrieved February 18, 2022.
- Farren, Neil (February 12, 2022). "Vidbir 2022 – Eurovision in times of trouble – Alina Pash to Eurovision". OnEurope. Retrieved 2022-02-16.
- Kolomiiets, Daryana (February 14, 2022). "Scandal Hits Ukraine's Eurovision 2022 Candidate". Kyiv Post. Retrieved February 18, 2022.
- "Скандали на Євробаченні: що відбувається". BBC (in Ukrainian). 13 February 2022. Retrieved 18 February 2022.
- Holden, Steve (16 February 2022). "Alina Pash: Singer won't represent Ukraine at Eurovision". BBC. Retrieved 18 February 2022.
- Adams, William Lee (17 February 2022). "Ukraine offers Kalush Orchestra Eurovision 2022 spot "to maintain the trust of the audience"". wiwibloggs. Retrieved 18 February 2022.
- "Гурт «Kalush Orchestra» представить Україну на Євробаченні в Турині" [Kalush Orchestra will represent Ukraine at Eurovision in Turin]. Suspilne (in Ukrainian). 22 February 2022. Retrieved 22 February 2022.
- "Як голосували журі і глядачі: Суспільне отримало протоколи з фіналу Нацвідбору" [How the jury and the audience voted: Public received protocols from the final of the National Selection]. Suspilne (in Ukrainian). 22 February 2022. Retrieved 22 February 2022.