|Liechtenstein at the|
2020 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Liechtenstein Olympic Committee|
|in Tokyo, Japan|
|Competitors||5 in 3 sports|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Liechtenstein is expected to compete at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Originally scheduled to take place from 24 July to 9 August 2020, the Games have been postponed to 23 July to 8 August 2021 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the nation's official debut in 1936, Liechtensteiner athletes have appeared in every edition of the Summer Olympic Games, except for two occasions. Liechtenstein did not register any athletes at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, and eventually joined the United States-led boycott when Moscow hosted the 1980 Summer Olympics.
The following is the list of number of competitors participating in the Games:
For the first time in Olympic history, Liechtenstein fielded a squad of two artistic swimmers to compete in the women's duet event, by finishing eighth and securing seventh of the eight available spots at the 2021 FINA Olympic Qualification Tournament in Barcelona, Spain.
|Athlete||Event||Technical routine||Free routine (preliminary)||Free routine (final)|
|Points||Rank||Points||Total (technical + free)||Rank||Points||Total (technical + free)||Rank|
Liechtenstein qualified one judoka for the men's middleweight category (90 kg) at the Games, marking the nation's return to the sport for the first time in two decades. Raphael Schwendinger accepted a continental berth from Europe as the nation's top-ranked judoka outside of direct qualifying position in the IJF World Ranking List of June 28, 2021.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 64||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Repechage||Final / BM|
|Raphael Schwendinger||Men's –90 kg|
Liechtensteinian swimmers further achieved qualifying standards in the following events (up to a maximum of 2 swimmers in each event at the Olympic Qualifying Time (OQT), and potentially 1 at the Olympic Selection Time (OST)):
|Christoph Meier||Men's 200 m individual medley|
|Men's 400 m individual medley||N/A|
|Julia Hassler||Women's 200 m freestyle|
|Women's 400 m freestyle||N/A|
|Women's 800 m freestyle||N/A|
|Women's 1500 m freestyle||N/A|
- "Joint Statement from the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee". Olympics. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "List of Olympic Teams and Duets is now completer". FINA. 14 June 2021. Retrieved 22 June 2021.
- Messner, Nicolas (22 June 2021). "Tokyo 2020: Official Olympic Qualification List". International Judo Federation. Retrieved 2 July 2021.
- "FINA – Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 Qualification". FINA. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Tokyo 2020 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Tokyo 2020. FINA. Retrieved 6 March 2021.