Maharaj Kishan Bhan
|Born||9 November 1947|
|Died||26 January 2020(aged 72)|
|Institutions||Department of Biotechnology|
Maharaj Kishan Bhan (9 November 1947 – 26 January 2020) was an Indian pediatrician and clinical scientist. He received M.B.B.S. Degree (1969) from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune and M.D. Degree from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh. He carried out extensive post doctoral research at All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the areas of diarrheal diseases and child nutrition with an emphasis on public health issues. He served as the president of the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER).
He was known for developing Rota Viral Vaccine in collaboration with Bharat Biotech International. He was positioned as Secretary, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, until 2012. Bhan conceived the newly formed BIRAC, which is expected to result in product development by industry in collaboration with academia. This initiative is to boost product development in the country. For this Bhan was actively assisted by Renu Swarup and Ravi Dhar from BIRAC. An elected fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences, he was awarded in 1990 the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, the highest science award in India, in the Medical Sciences category. He held honorary Doctor of Science and was responsible for policy formulation and was Member of the Jury for nearly all major national science awards awarded by the Government of India.
Prizes and honours
- Genome Valley Excellence Award — BIO ASIA (2013)
- Padmabhushan for civil services - 2013.
- Pollin Prize for Pediatric Research - 2003
- Biotech Product and Process Development and Commercialization Award - 2003
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology - 1990
- National Ranbaxy Award - 1990
- S.S. Mishra Award of the National Academy of Medical Sciences - 1986
- ST Achar Gold Medal of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics - 1984
- "Maharaj Kishan Bhan Aims For a New Bio Culture". Forbes. 4 May 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "President, JIPMER".
- "Shaping Technologies into Real Life Programs". Archived from the original on 9 December 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "List of Fellows — NAMS" (PDF). National Academy of Medical Sciences. 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Full list of winners of the Shanti Swaroop Prize". Archived from the original on 28 October 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Speakers Bios". Indian Medtech Summit. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Padma Bhushan Dr MK Bhan to get Genome Valley Excellence Award today - BioSpectrum Asia". Archived from the original on 7 May 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Padma Awards Announced". Ministry of Home Affairs (India). 25 January 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.