Maria Keller is the founder of Read Indeed, a nonprofit organization that donates books to kids without any books around the world. Keller, who is from Orono, Minnesota, had already donated over one million books at age 13 in 2013, five years ahead of schedule. While in Washington DC, accepting an award for her service, she met a man who asked her "Have you heard about that girl who donated over a million books?!" And she laughed and explained to him the she was that girl.
Keller received the Jefferson Award for Public Service in 2014. By 2014 Read Indeed books had reached kids in 30 US states and 13 countries. As of 2017[update] more than two million books had been donated worth $4 million.
Maria's Favorite Books
Maria listed her favorite books as:
- "Orono High School's Maria Keller Founds Literacy Nonprofit Read Indeed". Lake Minnetonka Magazine. January 2016. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- Dicker, Ron (2013-10-11). "Maria Keller, 13-Year-Old Minnesota Girl, Donates 1 Million Books". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- "Media and Awards". Read Indeed. Retrieved August 3, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The 13-Year-Old Who Is Championing World Literacy, a Million Books at a Time". Ellen's Good News / The Good News. Yahoo Shine. January 28, 2014. Archived from the original on April 5, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "About Read Indeed". Read Indeed. Retrieved August 3, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)