|Other names||Mixed Reality Viewer, View 3D|
|Initial release||April 5, 2017|
|Operating system||Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile|
|Platform||IA-32, x86-64, ARM32, ARM64|
|License||Proprietary commercial software|
3D Viewer (formerly Mixed Reality Viewer and before that, View 3D) is a 3D object viewer and Augmented Reality application that was first included in Windows 10 1703. It supports the .fbx, .3mf, .obj, and .stl and many more file formats listed in features section.
On the first launch, 3D Viewer automatically loads a "Bee.glb" file and renders an animated bee on a gray background. Users can change the viewing angle, select and watch one of the available animations (defined in the 3D file) or adjust either of the 3 light sources. The light setup can be saved as "themes" and applied to other 3D objects quickly. The app also features four "Quick Animations". These are ways in which the app can showcase the 3D object by changing the viewing angle. For example, the "Turntable" item rotates the view point around the object latitudinally. If the device running the app is equipped with a camera, the app can create a mixed reality experience that will allow you to tap on a surface you are viewing, and the 3D model will drop onto that surface. It will then make a rudimentary attempt at SLAM in order to keep the object in place.
3D Viewer can post a file to the Remix 3D website, open it in Paint 3D, or send it to the Print 3D app (formerly 3D Builder) for 3D printing. When in Mixed Reality mode, the 3D Viewer can also capture photos and videos of the scene that has your 3D model Augmented into it.
- View common 3D file types: FBX, STL, OBJ, glTF, GLB, PLY, 3MF, with high-quality staging.
- Use simple pan, zoom, and orbiting controls with your mouse, touch, pen or keyboard.
- Inspect the 3D model’s mesh, texture, material and animation data.
- View 3D files in different shading modes such as: smooth, wireframe on smooth, texture passes and more.
- Control the position and color of the staging lights.
- "Get 3D Viewer". Microsoft Store. Microsoft.
- "Microsoft's new View 3D app lets Windows 10 users interface". MSPoweruser. 2016-12-08. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Windows 10 View 3D app becomes "Mixed Reality Viewer" for Skip Ahead Insiders OnMSFT.com". OnMSFT.com. 2017-09-06. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "View 3D App Finally Allows Windows 10 Users to Add 3D Models to their Environments". IT Pro. 2017-08-31. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Hay, Richard (9 December 2016). "App Tour: View 3D for Windows 10 Redstone 2 (Creators Update)". IT Pro Today. Informa.
- Litchfield, Steve (May 10, 2017). "How to: use View 3D in Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update". All About Windows Phone. Retrieved 25 July 2017.