PGLang (stylized as "pgLang") is an American multi-disciplinary media company co-founded by American recording artist Kendrick Lamar and his business partner Dave Free, in 2020. It is a service company that encompasses a record label, a production house, and publishing.
Kendrick Lamar and Dave Free met when the two were in high school, and also co-directed music videos together under the name The Little Homies. In 2019, Free announced his departure from Top Dawg Entertainment after being the co-president of the label, saying "None
On March 5, 2020, Lamar and Free announced the launching of PGLang, which was described as a multilingual, artist-friendly service company. The company is multilingual for creators, with its official mission statement saying "Our community speaks music, film, television, art, books, and podcasts – because sometimes we have to use different languages to get the point of our stories across. Stories that speak to many nations, many races, and many ages." In a press release, Free said that the company "is not a record label, a movie studio, or a publishing house. This is something new. In this overstimulated time, we are focused on cultivating raw expression from grassroots partnerships." The announcement also featured a "visual mission statement", a four-minute short film starring Lamar, Baby Keem, Jorja Smith, and Yara Shahidi. Lamar simply stated in the press release, "Selfless. Reset."
On January 13, 2021, PGLang announced a collaboration project with Calvin Klein, with a series of seven short films written and directed by Free. The short films included appearances from Baby Keem, Brent Faiyaz, Mecca Allah, Travis Bennett, and Amber Wagner, among others.
In 2022, an untitled comedy film to be produced by Dave Free, Kendrick Lamar, Matt Stone, and Trey Parker was announced, with Vernon Chatman set to write. On March 9, 2022, pgLang announced the signing of Los Angeles artist Tanna Leone.
under the label
|Baby Keem||2020||1||Partnership with Columbia|
|Tanna Leone||2022||–||Partnership with Def Jam|
|Baby Keem||The Melodic Blue|
|2020||Calvin Klein short films|
- Alter, Rebecca. "Kendrick Lamar, Pulitzer Prize Winner, Launches Something 'Selfless'". Vulture.
- Mamo, Heran. "Kendrick Lamar Announces Mysterious 'pgLang' Project: What Does It All Mean?". Billboard.
- Yoo, Noah. "Dave Free No Longer Co-President of Top Dawg Entertainment: Report". Pitchfork.
- "Dave Free Leaves Top Dawg Entertainment". Rolling Stone.
- Mamo, Heran. "Kendrick Lamar Announces Mysterious 'pgLang' Project: What Does It All Mean?". Billboard. Archived from the original on March 5, 2020. Retrieved March 5, 2020.
- Holmes, Charles (March 5, 2020). "Kendrick Lamar Launches... Something (And Says It's Not a Record Label)". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on April 6, 2020. Retrieved April 29, 2020.
- McKinney, Jessica. "What Is pgLang? Kendrick Lamar's Mysterious New Company, Explained". Complex.
- "Kendrick Lamar and Dave Free Launch New Company pgLang". Complex. Archived from the original on March 6, 2020. Retrieved March 5, 2020.
- DeVille, Chris. "Kendrick Lamar & Dave Free Launch "At Service Company" pgLang". StereoGum. Archived from the original on March 6, 2020. Retrieved March 5, 2020.
- Strauss, Matthew. "Kendrick Lamar and Dave Free Launch New Company pgLang". Pitchfork.
- "What Is PgLang? Decoding Kendrick Lamar's Mysterious Company". GQ.
- Dunn, Frankie. "Kendrick Lamar's pgLang has collaborated with Calvin Klein". Vice.
- Triscari, Caleb. "Kendrick Lamar's pgLang announces creative project featuring Baby Keem, Brent Faiyaz and more". NME.
- Darville, Jordan. "Kendrick Lamar's pgLang is launching a Calvin Klein campaign". The Fader.
- Grobar, Matt. "Kendrick Lamar, Dave Free & 'South Park' Duo Matt Stone And Trey Parker To Produce Comedy Penned By Vernon Chatman For Paramount". Deadline.
- "Kendrick Lamar and Dave Free's pgLang Announces Partnership With Los Angeles Artist Tanna Leone". Complex.