Begum Parveen Sultana
|Born||1950 (age 70–71)|
|Origin||Nagaon, Assam, India|
|Genres||Khayal, Bhajans, Thumris|
|Occupation(s)||Hindustani Classical Music|
Begum Parveen Sultana (born July 1950) is an Indian Hindustani classical singer of the Patiala Gharana. She was awarded the Padma Bhushan (2014) by the Government of India, and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, 1998, given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama.
Begum Parveen Sultana started her professional career with Abdul Majid's Assamese Film Morom Trishna. She has sung for Bollywood movies such as Gadar, Kudrat, Do Boond Pani, and Pakeezah, and several other Assamese films. Recently, she sang the theme song of Vikram Bhatt's 1920. She also sang Humein Tumse Pyaar Kitna for the film Kudrat in 1981.
She is married to Ustad Dilshad Khan. They have one daughter.
Awards and recognition
- Gandharva Kalanidhi, 1980
- Miyan Tansen Prize, 1986
- Sangeet Samraggi conferred by the Assam Government, 1994
- Filmfare Best Female Playback Award--Kudrat (1981) for the song "Hame Tumse Pyar Kitna"
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, 1999
- Srimant Sankardev award by the Assam government
- 2014: Padma Bhushan by Government of India
- An hour of Ecstasy (Raga Madhuwanti/Raga Gorakh Kalyan/Raga Mishra Bhairavi thumri/Bhajan)
- Narayani (Raga Narayani)
- Young Voices of India (Modern Ghazals)- Maikada se utha ke pila Saaqiya
- Begum Parveen Sultana- (Raga Salag Varali todi/Raga Lalita/ Raga Khamaj thumri)
- Enchanting Bhajans (Raga Rageshri/Bhajan/Bhajan/Bhajan)
- Ethereal Duo- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Marwa/Raga Kaushi Nat/Raga Mishra Bhairavi thumri)
- Genius of Parveen Sultana (Raga Kalavati/Raga Rageshri/Hori thumri/Malhar Mala bhajan)
- Homage to Guru (Raga Shyam Kauns/Raga Shuddh Sarang/Raga Mishra Kafi hori thumri)
- Impeccable Soprano Parveen Sultana & Innovative Tenor Dilshad Khan- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Rageshri/Raga Hansdhwani)
- Innovation Greets Tradition (Raga Sarang Kauns/Raga Miya ki Malhar)
- Khayal & Thumri (Raga Kusumi Kalyan/Raga Mangal Bhairav/Raga Bhairavi thumri)
- Marvellous Jugalbandi- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Bhatiyaar/Raga Kaushi Kanada)
- Megh-Manavi (Raga Megh/Raga Manavi/Raag Hemant thumri)
- One Plus One...In Harmony- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Multani/Raga Puriya Dhanashri)
- Le Chant Khayal de Parveen Sultana et Dilshad Khan- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Kalavati/Raga Megh Malhar/Raga Bageshri/Raga Mishra Pahadi thumri)
- Two Voices- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Puriya Dhanashri/Raga Hansdhwani/Raga Bhairavi sadra)
- Phenomenal Performance (Raga Ahir Bhairav/Raga Nand Kauns/Raga Bhairavi sadra)
- Parveen Sultana Sings Rare Melodies (Raga Rajni Kalyan/Raga Deen Todi)
- Khayal Se Bhajan Tak- with Dilshad Khan (Vol 1 to Vol 4)
- Duologue in Raga- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Kedar bhajan/Raga Leelavati/Raga Rageshri/Raga Todi) 1992
- From Dawn Until Night (De l'aube à la nuit) – with Dilshad Khan (Raga Gujri todi/Raga Kuvalaya Bhairav/Raga Ambika Sarang/Raga Bhoopali tarana/Raga Amba Manohari/Raga Jog/Raga Mishra Bhairavi thumri/Meera bhajan/Brahmanand bhajan) 1995
- Parveen (Raga Rageshri/Raga Mishra Mand) 2004
- Simply Divine (Raga Puriya Dhanashri/Raga Mishra Khamaj thumri/Raga Mishra Kedar bhajan) 2004
- Maestro's Choice Parveen Sultana (Raga Maru Bihag/Raga Amba Manohari/Raga Hansdhwani tarana) 2006
- Safar (Raga Maru Bihag/Raga Hansdhwani tarana/Raga Bhairavi sadra/Meera bhajan/Sai bhajan)
- Live from Savai Gandharva Music Festival (Raga Gujri todi/Raga Jaunpuri/Kabir Bhajan); (Raga Jog/Raga Gurjri todi/Marathi song); (Raga Lalit/Raga Komal Bhairav)
- Par Excellence (Raga Madhuwanti/Raga Jog/Raga Maluha Mand) 2011
- Zen Harmony (Raga Gujri todi/Meera Bhajan)
Parween also lent her voice to several songs in films throughout the years.
- Pakeezah- Kaun gali gayo Shyam, Ban ban bole Koyaliya
- Do Boond Paani- Pital ki meri Gaagri
- Parwana- Piya ki gali
- Mukti[disambiguation needed] (Assamese)- Sakhiyoti Jhilmil Paakhi
- Sonma (Assamese)- Notun Tomaar Chorandhani
- Khoj- Ram kare mora Saiyaa ho aise
- Razia Sultan- Shubh Ghadi aayi re
- Ashray (the Shelter)– Shab-e-Intezaar mein kyu hai Gumsum Tamannaaye, Ae Mohabbat yu hi to tu Badnaam nahi, Dev puji puji Hindu muye
- Preet (Unreleased) (1972)- Yaad Sataaye din rain Mitwaa
- Tohfa Mohabbat ka- Prem ka Granth Padhaau
- Shaadi kar lo- Na tum hato...na tum hate (Qawwali)
- Vijeta- Bichhurat mose Kanha
- Kalankini Kankabati (Bengali)- Bedechhi Beena gaan Shonaabo
- Sharda- Yeh Bahut Khushi ki Nishaani hai
- Kudrat- Hame tum se Pyaar Kitna
- Anmol- Koi ishq ka rog
- Gadar: Ek Prem Katha- Aan milo Sajna (Thumri)
- 1920– Vaada tum se hai Vaada
- "Parveen Sultana". Archived from the original on 25 January 2013.
- Express Features Service (30 August 2008). "Malhar Magic". Express India. Archived from the original on 21 September 2012. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Padma Awards Announced". Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.