ScreenX is a panoramic film format which presents films with an expanded, dual-sided, 270-degree screens projected on the walls in a theater. First introduced in 2012, it is created by CJ 4DPLEX, a subsidiary of the CJ CGV group which also created the 4DX motion-theater technology, which, in fact, uses a similar logo and combines both formats, known as "4DX Screen". Co-developed by KAIST, it is considered a "sideways" version of IMAX and a presumed competitor to streaming platforms such as Netflix. In addition to films, the ScreenX theater also shows advertisements filmed or converted for the format.
As of 2020, the theater technology is installed at 316 theaters in 34 countries.
Like for IMAX films, in order to match the length of the entire tri-screen theater, ScreenX films are formatted either through pre-production (shooting) or post-production (converting). A film shot for ScreenX is typically shot with three cameras. The process is done through scene selecting, archiving, delivering assets, color grading, and mastering before distribution to theaters.
The majority of films produced for ScreenX are live-action films, mostly from South Korea and Asia, and only a few animated films (as well as family films) are ever shown in/produced for the format. Despite its innovation, the technology has been rarely produced for Hollywood-studio films due to the complexity of the additional computer animation work as side footage. Lee Jae-seon, who worked for the ScreenX version of King Arthur: Legend of the Sword at G-node, said that, "It is not easy to create Hollywood blockbuster CG work in Korea, but it is meaningful because we created Hollywood blockbuster CG work for ScreenX.” Additionally, films were initially shown only in selected locations due to the lack of partners at the time.
Box office performance
Since 2018, the ScreenX technology has proven to be successful at the worldwide box-office, following the successful panoramic release of Marvel Studios' Black Panther. It has grossed a combined total of over $40 million throughout the year through films released in the panoramic format.
In 2019, ScreenX has achieved an even more-successful box-office results, with Spider-Man: Far From Home being the highest-grossing release. As of June 2019, it has grossed $22 million from films shown in the ScreenX format.
4DX Screen (formerly "4DX with ScreenX") is the combination of the ScreenX and 4DX film formats which allows moviegoers to experience films in the multi-screen auditorium with enhanced motion and environmental effects, with an additional fourth-screen projected on the ceiling and the newest 4DX chair models. It debuted at a theater in Yongsan in 2017, and was internationally unveiled at CinemaCon 2018, and later at CES 2020. The combined film format is currently operating throughout Asian territories including South Korea, Japan and China. It later opened its first theater in a non-Asian location at a Les Cinémas Gaumont Pathé theater in Paris, France. It later made its overseas debut at a Cinépolis theater in Mexico City, Mexico in March 2020.
- 2018: 'ScreenX' won the 2018 ShowEast "Innovator of the Year" award.
- 2018: '4DX with ScreenX' won the Silver Prize at the 2018 Edison Awards for "Media, Visual Communications & Entertainment".
- 2019: 'ScreenX' won "Technology of the Year" at the 2019 Cinema Technology Community Awards.
- 2019: '4DX with ScreenX' won the iResearch Award for "Originative Cinema Technology".
- Frater, Patrick (6 April 2016). "ScreenX: Korean Immersive Format Targets Hollywood and China". Variety (magazine). Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- Ellingson, Annlee (14 August 2018). "Regal installs first ScreenX location in Irvine". L.A. Biz. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Stevens, Robert (14 August 2018). "To fend off Netflix, movie theaters try 3-screen immersion". AP News. The Associated Press. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- Brown, Ruth (14 August 2018). "Meet cinemas' latest effort to fend off Netflix". New York Post. NYP Holdings, Inc. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- Lang, Jeffrey (14 August 2018). "ScreenX latest theater fight with Netflix plus social media growing pains". Movie TV Tech Geeks. Movie TV Tech Geeks. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "ScreenX: A next-level movie experience". KAIST Breakthroughs. KAIST. 26 February 2014. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Yuen, Ced (10 August 2018). "ScreenX cinema: like IMAX but sideways". Trusted Reviews. TI Media Limited. Retrieved 14 February 2020. Posted Spring 2014.
- "CHOI Yong-seung, the Creative Director Behind PSYCHOKINESIS' Screen X Direction". Korean Film News. Korean Film Council. 12 February 2018. Retrieved 18 February 2020.
- "About Us | SCREENX". SCREENX. CJ CGV. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- von Sychowski, Patrick (24 May 2017). "Cinema Surround Screens Battle For Film Content". Celluloid Junkie. Celluloid Junkie. Retrieved 18 February 2020.
- "Ocine abre en Badalona la sala de cine ScreenX más grande del mundo" [Ocine opens the world's largest ScreenX cinema in Badalona]. La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Badalona. December 16, 2019. Retrieved June 21, 2020.
- "CGV ScreenX Records a Box-Office Hit with the Highest Audience". CJ Now. CJ Group. 27 February 2018. Retrieved 18 February 2020.
- Pahle, Rebecca (18 January 2019). "ScreenX Sets Record-Breaking 2018". Box Office Pro. The Box Office Company. Retrieved 18 February 2020.
- "ScreenX Shatters Worldwide Box Office Record Increasing Last Year's Box Office Performance by 85 Percent". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association LLC. 7 June 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2020.
- "CJ 4DPLEX SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCHES THE FUTURE OF CINEMA AT CES 2020". ScreenX. CJ 4DPLEX. 8 January 2020. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- ""4DX with SCREENX" to Make Worldwide Debut at CinemaCon 2018". Box Office Pro. The Box Office Company. 21 March 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "World's First Four-Sided 4DX Screen Revealed at CES 2020". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association. 6 January 2020. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Kil, Sonia (4 October 2019). "CGV 4DX Celebrates Decade of High Tech Cinema Equipment". Variety (magazine). Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "FIRST '4DX with ScreenX' IN EUROPE OPENS IN FRANCE WITH MARVEL STUDIOS' ANT-MAN AND THE WASP". 4DX. CJ 4DPLEX. July 2018. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Cutting-Edge Cinema Format '4DX with ScreenX' Continues to Make its Mark with Record-Breaking Attendance in Japan and China". PR Newswire. Pr Newswire Association. 3 September 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Cinépolis to be the First to Bring the Innovative and Award-Winning '4DX with ScreenX' Format to LATAM". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association LCC. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Salas ScreenX con vista panorámica de 270° llegan a Cinépolis". gritaradio.com (in Spanish). gritaradio.com. 5 February 2020. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "CJ 4DPLEX Wins 2018 ShowEast "Innovator of the Year" for ScreenX". FilmExpoGroup. FilmExpoGroup. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "2018 Edison Award Winners". Edison Awards. Edison Awards. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "ScreenX wins 'Technology of the Year' at 2019 Cinema Technology Community Awards". CJ Wire. Celluloid Junkie. 21 November 2019. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- ""4DX With ScreenX" Recipient Of Prestigious 2019 iResearch Award For Originative Cinema Technology". PR Newswire. PR Newswire Association LLC. 12 July 2019. Retrieved 20 February 2020.