Dr Suresh advani
Suresh Hariram Advani is an oncologist who pioneered hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in India. Struck by poliomyelitis at the age of 8 years, the wheelchair-using doctor studied at Grant Medical College, Mumbai (where he obtained the MBBS and MD Medicine degrees), following which he worked at Tata Memorial Centre for several years as a medical oncologist. Now he consults at Raheja Hospital. He gained experience in the field of bone marrow transplantation from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington.
Early life and education
Advani was born on 1 August 1947 in Karachi, British India (now in Pakistan). His family, including his parents, three brothers and three sisters had to shift to India after the partition. His family first resided in Deolali, Nashik and later settled in Mumbai. His father had electrical business.
After having been earlier rejected for his disability, Advani persuaded the authorities for an admission in Grant Medical College, Mumbai, Bombay University. He obtained his medicine degree from there in 1966. After training in internal medicine and haematology-oncology at the JJ Hospital, Grant Medical College in Mumbai, he undertook further training in oncology at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. There he got to work with Nobel laureate Dr E Donnall Thomas, known as the father of bone-marrow transplantation in the USA.check his website www.drsureshadvani.in
- Recipient of the Rashtriyra Krantiveer Award, Ujjain (2014)
- Recipient of the Padma Bhushan award by Government of India (2012)
- Recipient of the Dr. B. C. Roy National Award by Medical Council of India (2005)
- Awarded Lifetime Achievement in Oncology by Harvard Medical International (2005)
- Recipient of the Padma Shri by Government of India (2002)
- Recipient of the Dhanvantari award (2002)
- Elected fellow - National Academy of Medical Sciences (1996),
- Voted as “Pharma Leaders Indian of the Year – Oncology” at 11th Annual Pharma Leaders Power Brand awards 2018
- "Wheelchair-bound~ this doctor covered new ground in oncology". Mid-day. 29 October 2002.
- "Meet Dr Suresh Advani: India's first and best-known oncologist". The Economic Times. 21 July 2013.
- "About - Dr. Suresh H Advani". Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Dr Suresh Advani". www.drsureshadvani.in. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "List of Fellows — NAMS" (PDF). National Academy of Medical Sciences. 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Renowned Oncologist Dr. Suresh H Advani ecognised at Pharma Leaders 2018 Power Brand Awards as "Pharma Leaders Indian of the Year – Oncology" – pharmaleaders2018". Retrieved 24 December 2018.