Tehemton Erach Udwadia
Dr. B. C. Roy Award
SAGES Millennium Award
IAGES Lifetime Achievement Award
Tehemton Erach Udwadia (born 15 July 1934) is an Indian surgeon and gastroenterologist, considered by many as the father of laparoscopic surgery in India. He is a general surgeon at two Mumbai hospitals, Breach Candy Hospital and Hinduja Hospital and is the founder president of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons. The Government of India awarded him the fourth highest civilian honour of the Padma Shri, in 2006 and the third highest civilian honour of the Padma Bhushan in 2017 for his contributions to Indian medicine.
Born in a Parsi family originating from Udvada to Erach Rustomji and Perin Erach on 15 July 1934 in Mumbai, the capital city of the western Indian state of Maharashtra, Udwadia did his early education at St. Mary's School, Mumbai and Wilson College, Mumbai. He graduated in medicine from Mumbai University and started his career as a research fellow at the King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College in 1958, where he stayed till 1962. During this period, he studied for the postgraduate degree (MS) at the same institution, securing it in 1960. Moving to Grant Medical College and Sir Jamshedjee Jeejeebhoy Group of Hospitals in 1963, he worked there till 1994 till his superannuation and continued his association with the institution as an emeritus professor. In between, he also worked as a Hunterian Professor of the Royal College of Surgeons of England during 1984–85 and Sir James Ross Lecturer at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1992.
Udwadia is the founder president of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons and presided over the association from 1993 to 1998. He has served as the president of the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India, Association of Surgeons of India and the Society of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia. He has been the president of the Indian chapter and the World body of the International College of Surgeons. He has published over 90 articles in peer reviewed journals> and is the author of two books, Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy and Laparoscopic Surgery in Developing Countries.
Udwadia received the SAGES Millennium Award from the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons in 2000. The same year, he was awarded the Dr. B. C. Roy Award, the highest Indian award in the medical category, from the Medical Council of India. The Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons awarded him the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. In 2006 he was awarded the civilian award of the Padma Shri from the Government of India
- "Dr. Tehemton Erach Udwadia - Practo". Practo. 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Doctors back surgeon, fear giving advice". Times of India. 22 October 2012. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "MINIMAL ACCESS SURGERY IN INDIA". Surgery Times. 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Four Runners profile". Four Runners Healthcare. 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Tehemton E. Udwadia (June 2005). "Laparoscopy in India – a personal perspective". J Minim Access Surg. 1 (2): 51–52. doi:10.4103/0972-9941.16526. PMC 3004104. PMID 21206645.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Mumbai: 'Father of laparoscopic surgery in India' nominated for Padma Bhushan | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 26 January 2017. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- Sharma, Neetu Chandra (26 January 2017). "Mumbai: 'Father of laparoscopic surgery in India' nominated for Padma Bhushan". DNA India. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- "Hernia Society of India CV". Hernia Society of India. 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Dr. Tehemton Erach Udwadia (Mumbai)". Indian Med Guru. 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Prof. Tehemton E Udwadia Chairman CEMAST". CEMAST. 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Udwadia, Tehemton E. (1991). Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195629118.
- Udwadia, Tehemton E. (1997). Laparoscopic Surgery in Developing Countries. JayPee Medical Publishers. ISBN 9788171794867.