Municipality and town
Location of the municipality and town of Tibú in the Norte de Santander Department of Colombia.
|Department||Norte de Santander Department|
|Foundation||November 3, 1977|
|• Mayor||Jose Del Carmen Garcia Palacios|
|• Municipality and town||2,696 km2 (1,041 sq mi)|
|Elevation||75 m (246 ft)|
|• Municipality and town||36,502|
|• Density||14/km2 (35/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Colombia Standard Time)|
Tibú is a municipality of Colombia located in the department of Norte de Santander, in the northeast of the country, on the border with Venezuela and on the banks of the Tibú River. It is the 160th most populated cities of Colombia is number, and is the 6th in the department after Cúcuta, Ocaña, Villa del Rosario, Los Patios and Pamplona. It has an airport, and is connected by national road with Cúcuta, Ocaña and El Tarra.
The area of present-day Tibú was established as a camp basement by oil companies who first arrived in the area in 1945. On March 8, 1945 the Council of Cúcuta approved the creation of the corregimiento of Tibu. The Catholic Church also established the San Luis Beltran Mission and later on May 25, 1952 established the parish. The church greatly contributed to the development of the village by designing the first streets and distributing lots for the first houses and the cathedral.
Colombian Armed Conflict 1960s-present
The town and municipalities were hardly hit by the Colombian armed conflict. The area has been a constant dispute between government forces, the guerrillas of the FARC and ELN and paramilitary groups. On June 16, 1996 AUC members perpetrated the Gabarra Massacre while struggling for control of the area with insurgents.
The municipality of Tibú borders to the east with the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, to the south with the municipalities of Cúcuta and Sardinata, to the west with El Tarra and San Calixto and to the northwest with Teorama.
- (in Spanish)Tibú official website