|Born||May 22, 1968|
New Orleans, Louisiana
|Alma mater||University of Michigan (BGS, MSW, MBA)|
|Administrative career (AD unless noted)|
Warde Joseph Manuel (born May 22, 1968) is an American college athletics administrator and former American football player. He has served as the 12th director of athletics at his alma mater, the University of Michigan, since January 2016.
He was the director of athletics at the University of Connecticut from 2012 to 2016 and at the State University of New York at Buffalo from 2005 to 2012. He served as associate athletic director at the University of Michigan from 2000 to 2005.
Early life and education
Manuel played high school football at Brother Martin High School in New Orleans. He was a first team high school All-American. He was recruited and enrolled at the University of Michigan, where he played defensive tackle for the Wolverines from 1986 to 1989, for coach Bo Schembechler, before suffering a career-ending neck injury.
Manuel received a Bachelor of General Studies with a focus in psychology, a Master of Social Work, and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Michigan in 1990, 1993, and 2005, respectively.
Manuel developed his management skills as assistant athletic director and then associate AD at the University of Michigan. He credits Michigan coaches and staff for his success, including Bo Schembechler, Stephen Ross, and Greg Harden, now Director of Athletic Counseling at U-M.
Manuel was responsible for the hiring of Turner Gill as the head coach of Buffalo's football team. Under Gill the team achieved its first winning season and first invitation to a post season bowl game since the program joined NCAA Division I athletics in 1999. Manuel has helped change Buffalo's image and marketing strategy. Immediately after he took office, Manuel replaced the old "Bull Head" logo with a sleeker, more modern bull. Manuel also increased the athletics budget from $11 million to $25 million within three years of his hiring.
- ^ http://www.umsalary.info/index.php?FName=warde&LName=manuel&Year=12&Campus=0
- ^ "Warde Manuel - Donald R. Shepherd Director of Athletics - Staff Directory". University of Michigan Athletics.
- ^ "Warde J. Manuel | Office of the President". University of Michigan Office of the President. Archived from the original on 2022-10-30. Retrieved 2022-10-30.
- ^ Viera, Mark (February 13, 2012). "Tests for New Athletic Director at UConn". The New York Times. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- ^ "Warde Manuel Named Director of Athletics". uconnhuskies.com. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- ^ a b "Warde Manuel - Donald R. Shepherd Director of Athletics - Staff Directory". University of Michigan Athletics. Archived from the original on 2022-10-30. Retrieved 2022-10-30.
- ^ a b "University of Michigan Football Rosters". Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan.
- ^ "Warde Manuel credits U-M for showing him what to do at UConn", by Carol Cain, April 27, 2014.