Zahn Tokiya-ku McClarnon
October 24, 1966
Zahn Tokiya-ku McClarnon (born October 24, 1966) is an American actor.
Zahn started acting in high school. Professionally, he is best known for his performances as Police Chief Mathias in the Western crime drama series Longmire, Hanzee Dent in the second season of Fargo, and Akecheta in the second season of Westworld. He currently plays the quirky Officer Big in the 2021 FX on Hulu series Reservation Dogs, and is set to portray William Lopez in the Marvel Cinematic Universe series Hawkeye (2021).
McClarnon was born in Denver, Colorado, the son of a Hunkpapa Lakota mother and a father of Irish ancestry. He grew up near Browning, Montana, where his father worked at Glacier National Park for the National Park Service. He would often visit the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, where his mother grew up, and often stayed with his maternal grandparents on weekends and for longer visits. His mother lived on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota. When his father was relocated to Omaha, Nebraska, for work, the family lived in the Joslyn Castle and Dundee neighborhood. McClarnon has a fraternal twin brother.
McClarnon got his start in a local production of Jesus Christ Superstar at the Chanticleer Theater in Council Bluffs, Iowa. He connected with John Jackson, a local Omaha casting director who later became known for his work with director Alexander Payne. McClarnon gained some local work and in the early 1990s, he moved to Los Angeles for his career.
McClarnon was in the Into the West (2005) miniseries for TNT and played Running Fox. He starred in the 2009 film Not Forgotten and comedy film Repo Chick. In 2013, he was in the horror movie Resolution. He had a recurring role as Bodaway Macawi in Ringer. He also played Mike Parker in the first four episodes of the SundanceTV series The Red Road.
McClarnon portrayed Hanzee Dent in the second season of the TV series Fargo, where his performance received critical acclaim. He appeared in the TV series Timeless as Native American U.S. Marshall Grant Johnson in the episode "The Murder of Jesse James". McClarnon appeared as Toshaway in AMC Network's The Son, for which he learned the Comanche language.
McClarnon appeared as Akecheta, the leader of the Ghost Nation, in HBO's Westworld. Although usually credited as a recurring character, McClarnon was credited as a main cast member in "Kiksuya", the eighth episode of the second season, which focuses almost exclusively on his character's backstory. His performance in the episode received critical acclaim, with the critic's consensus on the review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes stating that McClarnon delivered a "heart-wrenching, formidable performance" that elevates the episode to "one of the best of the entire series".
McClarnon's first name is in honor of his maternal great-great-uncle, Frank "Frances" B. Zahn, who was an artist and Lakota elder of Standing Rock Indian Reservation. McClarnon's middle name, Tokiya-ku, loosely translates to mean: "first one to come."
In late 2017, McClarnon fell at his home and suffered a brain injury, requiring hospitalization. The accident caused a brief shutdown of production for Westworld.
|1988||My Neighbor Totoro||Additional voices||Voice role; 2005 Disney English dub|
|1994||Silent Fall||Deputy Bear|
|2002||Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron||Little Creek's Friend||Voice role|
|2007||Searchers 2.0||Rusty Frobisher|
|Repo Chick||Savage Dan|
|Down for Life||Grim|
|I'm in Love with a Church Girl||Jessie|
|Bone Tomahawk||The Professor|
|2016||Neither Wolf Nor Dog||Billy|
|2019||Doctor Sleep||Crow Daddy|
|Hell on the Border||Sam Sixkiller|
|2021||The Forever Purge||Chiago|
|1992||Tequila and Bonetti||Hispanic Kid||1 episode|
|1992||Baywatch||Bear Sutter||1 episode|
|1993||Murphy Brown||Man #3||1 episode|
|1994||Thunder in Paradise||Billy Cyprus||1 episode|
|1996||The Lazarus Man||Nakai||1 episode|
|1996-1997||Dangerous Minds||Carlos Montalvo||3 episodes|
|1997||Chicago Hope||George Burroughs||1 episode|
|2005||Into the West||Running Fox||Miniseries, 3 episodes|
|2007||Saving Grace||Ames Blackbird||1 episode|
|2008||Comanche Moon||Ermoke||Miniseries, 1 episode|
|2009||Life||Tomas Shasta||1 episode|
|2010||Medium||Alex Keeswood||1 episode|
|2011||Castle||Roy Horton||1 episode|
|2011-2012||Ringer||Bodaway Macawi||Recurring role, 8 episodes|
|2012-2017||Longmire||Officer Mathias||Recurring role, 29 episodes|
|2015||Fargo||Hanzee Dent||Recurring role, 9 episodes|
|2017||Timeless||Grant Johnson||1 episode|
|2017||Midnight, Texas||Zachariah||1 episode|
|2017-2019||The Son||Toshaway||Main role, 20 episodes|
|2018||Westworld||Akecheta||Recurring role, 5 episodes|
Lead role, episode: "Kiksuya"
|2018||Queen of the South||Taza||Recurring role, 4 episodes|
|2019||Drunk History||Adam Fortunate Eagle||1 episode|
|2019||Robot Chicken||Snowball||Voice role, 1 episode|
|2020||Barkskins||Yvon||Main role, 8 episodes|
|2021||Reservation Dogs||Officer Big||Recurring role|
|2021||Hawkeye||William Lopez||Main role, upcoming series|
|2022||Ark: The Animated Series||Thunder Comes Charging||Voice role, upcoming series.|
|2022||Dark Winds||Joe Leaphorn||Main role, upcoming series|
|2010||Red Dead Redemption||The Local Population|
- Pond, Roscoe (July 7, 2003). "Zahn McClarnon, more than just Indian and Irish". Indian Country Today.
- Mertes, Micah (April 10, 2017). "In AMC's 'The Son,' Omaha-raised actor graduates to playing a patriarchal role". Omaha World-Herald.
- Tobias, Scott (December 14, 2015). "Zahn McClarnon on 'Fargo' and What Makes Hanzee Tick". The New York Times.
- Fienberg, Daniel (December 14, 2015). "'Fargo' Finale: Zahn McClarnon on Hanzee's Future and the Season 1 Easter Egg". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "O-Book '85" (PDF). Omaha Central High School Archives. 1985. p. 44.
- Mertes, Micah (March 11, 2016). "'Fargo' actor, former Omahan is on a good run". Omaha World-Herald.
- Schilling, Vincent (March 13, 2014). "Shady Character: Zahn McClarnon Discusses his 'Red Road' Role". Indian Country Today.
- Schilling, Vincent (March 3, 2015). "'Longmire' Was Saved by the Fans, Says Zahn McClarnon". Indian Country Today.
- Jurgensen, John (December 8, 2015). "Meet Zahn McClarnon, the Man Behind the Lethal Hanzee Dent of 'Fargo'". The Wall Street Journal.
- Fienberg, Daniel (November 23, 2015). "'Fargo' Star Rachel Keller on Simone's Long Walk Into the Woods". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kavner, Lucas (December 14, 2015). "Fargo's Zahn McClarnon on Hanzee's Backstory and the Types of Roles Native Americans Get Onscreen". Vulture.
- Krol, Debra Utacia (March 6, 2017). "Zahn McClarnon Cast as Comanche leader Toshaway in AMC's 'The Son.'". Indian Country Today.
- Bernstein, Abbie (April 8, 2017). "The Son: Actor Zahn McClarnon on AMC's new series - Exclusive Interview". Assignment X.
- "Westworld - Season 2 Episode 8" – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- "00900 - Photographs - Archives Holdings - Archives - State Historical Society of North Dakota: Zahn Family". State Historical Society of North Dakota.
- Stedman, Alex (November 3, 2017). "'Westworld' Actor Zahn McClarnon Hospitalized, Season 2 Production Paused". Variety. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Del Rosario, Alexandra (December 11, 2020). "'Ark: The Animated Series': Vin Diesel, Michelle Yeoh & Elliot Page Among Voice Cast Members In New Video Game-Inspired Show".